Responding to the ridicule of teachers and the teaching profession by politicians and self proclaimed "experts"!
"Where is Albert Shanker now that we need him?" - Walt Sautter

Wednesday 26 February 2014

RU Athletic Absurdity

RU has the second highest in-state tuition of all public universities in the U.S. Will the expected "financial bonanza" from joining the Big Ten result in lowered tuition rates? 
Will future athletic costs include million dollar payouts because a coach "bullied" a six foot five, two hundred and twenty pound, twenty-two year old by throwing a ball at him and pushing him into position (Couldn't he have just quit the team if he felt so threatened)?
Will future athletic budgets include the outrageous legal fees incurred (and on going) by new "bullying" incidents?

PS

I've done some soul searching during these long, cold winter days.
Why do I write this blog and why am I so concerned about all these education isssues? I've been out of the loop for ten years now! Maybe it's because, when people ask me what I did with my life, I would like  to say "I was a teacher" with pride and head held high?
With all the disdain for public education and teachers which continually fills the media day after day, it makes it hard for me to utter those words without a downward gaze. I would like to see the day when I can speak about my life's work without even a hint of  apology.
But every time I write one of these diatribes, I say to myself it should be my last!  
I should resolve to stop being so compulsive about commenting on the constant criticisms, teacher bashings and failed schemes proposed by education "experts" and politicians because it seems nothing I can do will ever change it. It only gets worse!
Then, the next day, when I pick up the paper or turn on the radio I immediately read or hear the kind of stuff that drives me back to this computer. I guess I just lack the self discipline required to control myself but I will continue to try, I promise. 
Wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?